Canon is a printer brand that provides feature-rich printing devices to people worldwide. You can see printers from this brand kept in offices, schools, and almost every home. But sometimes, it can stop working. Users can encounter an issue like Canon printer in error state. This issue can also occur when you update your system to Windows 10. If left unresolved, it can practically stop your printing tasks and cause an interruption in your workflow. So you must understand the causes and resolutions for it. In this article, you’ll find prominent reasons that make your Canon printer go in an error state and the techniques you can use to bring it out of this state.
What Leads to Canon Printer in Error State?
A Canon printer that’s in an error state indicates that there’s a problem with the printer software. Some root causes of this problem include the following:
- Inaccurate installation of the printer drivers.
- The software you have downloaded does not belong to your Canon printer model.
- Connectivity issues can also make your Canon printer go offline.
- The BIOSS issue is a common reason for this error.
- The USB cables are not properly connected.
Ways to Troubleshoot the Canon Printer in Error State Problem
There are numerous techniques to troubleshoot this problem. Given below are the various fixes you can start implementing to resolve it.
1. Check printer connections
It’s the first thing you can do when encountering an error state problem in your Canon printer. Ensure that the printing device is well-connected to the wall socket. In case you have numerous connections from a single wall socket, you need to remove them all before you begin using the printer. After you’ve checked that, check the printer’s connection to the system. Unplug all the connections and wipe them gently to clean them. Then, plug them in again. Ensure that you make a secure and tight connection.
If you own a wireless printer, make sure that your computer, printer, and any extra routers are properly connected. After checking all this, you can try to print a document.
2. Resolve problems with port
If you are a Windows 10 user, you may encounter the error state problem because Windows 10 has some issues with ports. For fixing Canon printer in error state Windows 10, go through these steps.
- Navigate to ‘Device Manager’ by right-tapping on the ‘Start’ menu.
- On the Device Manager window, tap the ‘View’ menu, and choose the option of ‘Show Hidden Devices.’
- Locate the option of ‘Ports (COM & LPT).’ Expand this category and right-tap on ‘Printer Port.’
- In the pop-up menu, tap ‘Properties.’
- Now, tap on ‘Port Settings.’ From the given options, choose ‘Use any interrupt assigned to port.’
- Check the box that displays ‘Enable Legacy Plug and Play Detection.’
- Tap ‘OK’ for applying the changes and exit the window of Device Manager.
- Restart your system and try to print.
3. Set printer spooler service to automatic
You can also fix the Canon printer in error state by setting the service of the printer spooler to automatic. Do it by following these steps.
- Open the ‘Run’ box by hitting the Windows key and R on your keyboard.
- In the ‘Run’ box, input ‘service.msc’ and hot ‘Enter.’
- Locate the service of the print spooler present on the right-hand corner. Check that it is set to ‘Start.’
- Tap ‘Print Spooler’ or select ‘Properties.’
- Next, go to the ‘General’ tab or set the ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Automatic.’
- Click ‘Apply’ or ‘OK’ and close the services window.
- Restart your system and see if the Canon printer has come out of an error state.
4. Reinstall the printer driver
Your printer can be in an error state because of the failure of the printer driver. So, you must uninstall and reinstall the driver. You can do it by following these instructions.
- Navigate to ‘Control Panel.’
- Choose ‘View Devices and Printers’ under ‘Hardware and Sound.’
- Locate your printer and right-click it.
- Choose ‘Printer Driver’ from the menu that comes up.
- After that, choose ‘Remove Device’ to uninstall the printing device from your computer.
- Now you need to reinstall the printer. Put the disc that came with your printer in the CD-ROM. It will commence the installation process automatically.
- Check that your printer is plugged in throughout this process.
5. Set the printer as default
If you are repeatedly facing this problem, you must check whether your Canon printing device is set as default. To check it, go through this series of steps.
- Open ‘Control Panel’ and navigate to the section of ‘Device and Printers.’
- Choose your Canon printer and right-tap on it.
- From the list, choose the ‘Set as Default Printer’ option.
- When you tap on it, you’ll see the printer with a green check mark.
- Now, your printer is set as the default one.
After going through the guide, you can confidently troubleshoot the Canon printer in error state problem. Implement each technique and find out what was causing this problem. If you need advanced troubleshooting assistance, reach out to Canon customer support services. The professionals will diagnose and resolve this problem speedily for you.