Understanding work permits and visas in Singapore

Understanding work permits and visas in Singapore

Singapore has attracted and continues to attract a large number of international workers. Due to the inflow of foreign employees already in the nation, a foreigner intending to live and work in Singapore would find it difficult to obtain employment. Many people who have already relocated to Singapore will have difficulty finding work. 


There are several kinds of work visas available, which are categorized according to the applicant’s technical competence and monthly income. Applicants must understand the purpose and requirements of each visa before applying. Singapore offers professional work visas such as the Employment Pass Singapore permit, Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass), and Personalized Employment Pass Singapore permit. The S Pass and Work Permit are permitted for international employees who are qualified or semi-skilled who want to work in Singapore. 

#1 Employment pass Singapore permit

The most frequent visa issued by the Singaporean government is the employment pass (EP). The EP is best suited for foreign professionals seeking work in administrative, executive, or specialized roles who have appropriate qualifications and work experience. It’s meant for foreigners who are considered experts or professionals in their chosen field. Each applicant’s talents and abilities, as well as their potential to offer a competitive edge in their area, would be thoroughly evaluated by authorities. 


Employees and executives are the most common applicants for employment permits. They must earn a minimum of S$4,500 per month. Those interested in applying for an EP must do so after establishing a business. It’s a temporary pass that has to be renewed every two years, or more often if specific criteria are fulfilled. The EP is processed and approved by the Ministry of Manpower. EP holders will find it simpler to become permanent residents of Singapore in the future. 


Only a foreigner’s employer may apply for an EP on his or her behalf if the foreigner wants to work in the United States. 

#2 Entrepreneur pass 

Others who are not citizens of the United States may apply for an entrepreneur visa (EntrePass). This work visa is for individuals who have reached significant milestones and success in their business endeavors, or who have a bold business concept that will help the country’s economic growth. This is because EntrePass is designed for those who have a long experience of running their own businesses. 


The vast majority of EntrePass users are entrepreneurs who have started new companies. Applicants must hold at least 30% of the company’s shares to be considered for an EntrePass. Owners of EntrePass must have a business plan that is at least 10 pages long and outlines their intended business approach. 


The EntrePass, like the EP, has a limited validity period. It must be renewed every year, however, there are certain requirements that must be fulfilled before it may be renewed. An applicant may apply for an EntrePass at any time after the business has been registered for up to six months. 


However, once the 30-day period after the issue of the EntrePass has expired, the company must be established. The MOM and the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority process and approve the EntrePass (ACRA). If they want, holders of an EntrePass are more likely to acquire Singapore PR status. 

#3 Personalized employment pass

One of Singapore’s most flexible work visa applications is the personalized employment pass Singapore permit (PEP). It offers the bearer a number of options. It’s for professionals and executives who make at least S$18,000 per month. Those who apply for a PEP and already hold an EP, on the other hand, just need a monthly income of S$12,000 to be considered. 


The PEP is a self-sponsorship visa that allows you to work in the United States. It allows the bearer to go to Singapore without being required to work there. The candidate is eligible to apply for a PEP. The PEP also gives its bearer the ability to travel throughout Singapore’s job market. Its possessor is not bound by any employment contracts and therefore has the freedom to work in any industry. If a PEP holder changes employment, they are not obliged to renew. 

#4 S pass

The S Pass is a temporary work visa that allows professionals and semi-skilled workers to work in the United States. Workers from any nation are welcome to work in Singapore. S Pass holders are members of the professional community who have fulfilled the organization’s requirements. Applicants must have a fixed monthly income of at least S$2,200 to be eligible for an S Pass. 


Work experience, educational credentials, and business-related professional abilities are also required. Those with greater experience will need to acquire more money to demonstrate their job expertise. 


An employer must submit an S Pass application on the applicant’s behalf. The S Pass requires candidates to complete and pass a point-based assessment. Employers that hire S Pass holders are required to provide medical coverage for their employees. 

#5 Work permit

A Work Permit (WP) is a work visa that allows semi-skilled employees in Singapore to work in labor-intensive sectors including manufacturing, construction, maritime, and services. Because no educational credentials are required, WP holders are paid less. The employer is responsible for submitting a WP application. 


A quota system applies to the WP. Employers are required to pay a foreign worker tax, adhere to the foreign worker limit, and offer medical benefits to their employees. This work visa is reversible and valid for up to two years after it is granted. WP holders are not permitted to bring their dependents with them. 

To sum it up 

Understanding the differences between the different types of work visa applications can help applicants get the one that is most suitable for them. Work visa selection is influenced by the applicant’s experience, abilities, and educational level. Although applying for a work visa may be difficult, it can be made easier by contacting a professional service provider that specializes in immigration and visa services. 


RenAi Group is renowned for providing these kinds of services, and we will make sure that your immigration needs are fulfilled. Contact us now to begin the process of obtaining a work visa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *