Gynecomastia refers to the enlargement of glandular tissue in the male chest. The condition is caused mostly by a hormonal imbalance or an accumulation of fatty tissue in the chest area. Sometimes, intake of certain drugs can also result in gynecomastia conditions. Other factors that can cause gynecomastia include obesity, steroid consumption, thyroid, liver disease, and the use of certain drugs. Young males suffering from this problem usually find it a cause of social awkwardness and they can also opt for Male Breast Reduction in Delhi performed at Aestiva Clinic to get a defined chest shape with gynecomastia surgery.
Gynecomastia can occur at different times, including:
- Birth: This condition is due to the mother’s estrogen levels. The enlarged breasts normally disappear within a few weeks or two.
- Puberty: Hormonal imbalance, including falls in testosterone and rushes in estrogen, causes breast tissue to enlarge. As hormone levels even out, this condition goes away. This process takes about six months to two years to complete.
- Adulthood: Men’s bodies produce less testosterone with age. They may also have more body fat, which triggers estrogen production and breast tissue growth.
Symptoms of gynecomastia
- Extra skin on the chest
- Pain and secretion of pus
- Swelling in the area
- Excess-confined fat and excess growth of glandular tissue
Ideal candidates for gynecomastia surgery
- Must be above 18 years
- Males who feel uncomfortable going without a shirt because of the swollen chest appearance
- Must be in overall good health
- Self-conscious about their chest appearance
- Men who do not drink or smoke.
- Avoid taking any medicines that contain aspi-rin or anti-inflammatory drugs for two weeks before the procedure.
- Avoid smoking for four weeks before and after the procedure as smoking decreases blood flow to the skin and may delay the healing process.
- Vitamin C may help reduce the healing time and is recommended for two weeks before and after the procedure.
The procedure of male breast reduction surgery:
Gynecomastia surgery in Delhi performed by Dr. Mrinalini Sharma at Aestiva Clinic aims to restore a normal male breast contour and correct imperfections of the breast, nipple, or areola. The most accepted procedures for gynecomastia include traditional liposuction, BodyJet liposuction, and excision.
Traditional liposuction – Traditional liposuction is performed to remove excess fat and contour the shape of the chest with the aid of the traditional technique. Candidates with mild to moderate gynecomastia, involving breast enlargement with minimal gland hypertrophy and no excess skin are the good candidates for liposuction only.
BodyJet liposuction – BodyJet liposuction is a substitute for water-assisted liposuction that is gentler and minimizes bruising and swelling after the surgery. Power-assisted liposuction (PAL) or ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL) is used while performing liposuction for gynecomastia, as they can more effectively remove the fibrous tissue. In liposuction-associated breast reduction, there is less compromise of blood supply, nipple distortion, and areola slough. The liposuction technique requires the insertion of a cannula, a thin hollow tube, through several small incisions. The cannula is moved in a controlled motion to alleviate excess fat, which is then removed from the body by vacuum suction. The skin will normally retract and tighten to create a nice chest form among the candidates with elastic skin.
Excision – Excision is necessary if the areola will be reduced or the nipple will be repositioned to a more natural male contour. Many candidates have a small amount of fibrous glandular tissue under the nipple and this area can be treated directly with excision by making a small cut around the areola. Excision techniques are suggested wherever glandular breast tissue must be removed to correct gynecomastia. Incision patterns may vary depending on specific conditions and surgical preferences.
To know which surgical approach can be suitable for them, one can consult the gynecomastia surgeon in Delhi, Dr. Mrinalini Sharma at Aestiva Clinic to know more.
Two types of gynecomastia:
1. Pseudogynecomastia – In this case, the fat cells deposit in the chest area of the men suffering from obesity in this condition. With the help of liposuction, the unwanted fat tissue can be removed and this is achieved by inserting a small tube cannula that liquefies the fat, and then the fat is suctioned out with the help of the suction technique.
2. True gynecomastia – This condition occurs as a consequence of glandular tissue growth, and surgical removal is the only option left to treat this condition. Many people often combine gynecomastia surgery along with muscular gland surgical removal techniques to achieve a stronger and tighter core that enhances their newly muscular chest.
Benefits of gynecomastia surgery
- Gynecomastia surgery helps to achieve a more sculpted physique.
- Patient achieves flat chest that enables the patient to wear fitted clothing.
- The surgery improves body posture as it helps men to stand straighter and taller.
- Gynecomastia surgery provides relief from social awkwardness.
The chest area will look swollen and bruised after surgery. The compression garment helps to reduce swelling and provides support to the treated area. To ensure proper body contouring, compression garments must be worn for at least 6 weeks. Heavy exercises must be restrained for the initial few weeks after surgery.
Interested in gynecomastia surgery? Consult Dr. Mrinalini Sharma at Aestiva Clinic to know more about Male Breast Reduction cost in Delhi.